[CentOS] Samba server choices

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 5 19:52:20 UTC 2012

> On 12/05/2012 12:41 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 12/5/2012 7:47 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> So my question to all of you is, what other options are out there? A
>>> Win7 future kind of makes SME more attractive than rolling my own.
>> I don't understand that justification?   Samba is Samba, the configs are
>> pretty straight forward.
> Well yes and no. And I DO have working configs from the Amahi server to
> 'run' with. But there is more to it if I want to have a system that can
> add users and systems with some level of ease. It HAS been a couple
> years since I have fiddle with the configs, and thus my point about more
> than just running the configs...

What I did in the past was use the samba RPMs from enterprisesamba.org:

http://www.enterprisesamba.org/samba-packages/red-hats-rhel/rhel-6/

With the LDAP rpms that come with CentOS.

I also used the application called LDAP Account Manager to add new users
and groups:

https://www.ldap-account-manager.org/

In my case, I was doing e-mail in a separate system ... but several
e-mail systems read from LDAP accounts, so this can be used for e-mail
accounts too if needed.