[CentOS] adb Samsubg note 2 and centos6

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu Dec 6 18:05:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Craig White wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:08 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone figured out how to mount a Samsung note 2 on Centos 6? When I plug
>> it in to the usb port it is detected and the get the following in the log:
>>
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device number 35 using ehci_hcd
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 42f7ad039a3d8f3b
>> Dec  6 08:02:23 tigger kernel: usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
>>
>> lsusb shows:
>> Bus 001 Device 035: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100 Phone [Galaxy S II], GT-P7500 [Galaxy Tab 10.1]
>>
>>> From there I cannot figure out how to mount it.
>>
>>> From goggling it would appear that I need adb and some udev rules.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to get this to mount?
>
> ----
> I don't but the bigger problem is that if you try to attach to the built-in
> storage, that would require MTP, support for which on Linux is meager to
> non-existent but the Galaxy Note 2 does have an SD slot and any SD cards
> should be obvious via USB Storage.

I have a friend with a Galaxy Note that somehow got his to mount both his
SD card and the built-in storage using adb. The problem is he cannot remember
what he did. That fone also uses MTP. I was hoping that I can find the magic
incantation to be able to do the same thing with my Note 2.

> The easier/best solution would likely be to use an Android program called
> WiFi Explorer (I paid the guy $2 I think for the pro version) and it's
> really, really nice and easy. Also, I found SSHDroid to be relatively easy
> to use (requires using 'scp' or rsync via ssh to copy files to/from.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not thought of going that way. The more I
think about this, the better I like it. I have some automated scripts I use
to back up some of my data via rsync. The SSHDroid seems like it would work
for that and maybe allow me to run my scripts via a cron job and not have to
worry about being connected to a wire. WiFi Explorer looks good also.
Hard to go wrong for $.99. :-)

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org