[CentOS] Antwort: Re: Antwort: courier mail for Centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:26:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> I have glanced at these and see a challenge.
>
> First ClearOS will NOT support my mail requirements, as I create users
> by domain; ie user at domain and ClearOS allows a user to send receive mail
> from all configured domains.

That might be something you can change.   What is it that you want to
happen?  It tends to be awkward if you are mostly mapping mail
usernames to unix logins but you want exceptions that don't mesh with
aliases or virtual users.

> It looks like at least the howto on dovecot.org above works the same.

It should be up to postfix or sendmail to figure out what addresses to
accept and how to alias them for delivery.  Dovecot should only see
the delivered file copies - cyrus would do the local delivery itself
but only after postfix/sendmail hands off to it.  Or are you talking
about a user agent login from (say) thunderbird having the same login
name in two different domains and seeing different mailboxes when they
connect to the same actual server?

> Further it looks like dovecot keeps all the mail in one database?  I
> can't be sure.  The way I am running right now is that each users mail
> is a file per message in:
>
> /home/vmail/domain/user  The maildrop module (I think) does this
> distribution.

Cyrus has its own DB format, but I think it is ultimately one message
per file, so good for incremental backups. It has a fairly complete
tool set of its own if you need to move things around and there are
generic imap mailbox sync tools that don't care about the underlying
storage. Dovecot can work with either mbox (one file per user) or
maildir layout.  You just have to configure delivery and dovecot the
same way.

> I will spend a bit more time digging into dovecot to see what it will
> take to set it up for user at domain functionality.  Maybe it does in these
> howtos, but I don't see it....

How does user at domain1 log in differently than user at domain2 to the same
host?  Or does delivery land in the same mailbox?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com