[CentOS] home directory server performance issues

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Wed Dec 12 20:25:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Matt Garman wrote:

> Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on your scenario?  In particular,
> how much memory and CPU cores do the servers have with the really high
> NFSD counts?  Is there a rule of thumb for nfsd counts relative to the
> system specs?  Or, like so many IO tuning situations, just a matter of
> "test and see"?

My NFS servers that run 256 nfsd's have four cores (Xeon, 3.16 GHz) and 16
GB memory, with three incoming network segments on which the clients live
(each of which is a dual bonded GbE link). I don't know of any rule of
thumb; indeed I am using 256 nfsd's at the moment because that is the
nature of the current workload. It might be different in a few month's
time, especially as we add more clients. Indeed I started with 64 nfsd's
and kept adding more until the NFS stalls essentially stopped.

Steve