[CentOS] Building a C5 chroot on a C6 machine

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:10:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:38:18PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to do something slightly silly; rather than having a C5 machine
>> > and a C6 machine around for compiling and testing, I want to create a C5
>> > chroot area.  Something similar to "mock" but using lvm snapshots and some
>> > local config specific stuff.
>> >
>> > (Potentially even using Linux Containers to enter the chroot environment).
>>
>> Even if it is possible to get everything right that way, is it really
>> worth the trouble compared to a VM?
>
> Yes.  I have use cases and constraints that aren't relevant to the
> technical problem but impact the overall problem.  Additional VMs are
> highly non-optimal.

Sure they are non-optimal, but they waste a couple of dollars worth of
resources and do near-perfect emulation where you are likely to need a
long time to set up something unique and may still have things leaking
in and out of the environment you are trying to isolate - especially
if you want to automate your compiling and testing with something like
jenkins that already knows how to work across platforms.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com