[CentOS] grub.conf corrupt in boot grub, fine in rescue shell

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Sat Dec 15 06:53:39 UTC 2012

It's quite likely a software RAID card and when the OS was installed it only installed grub on one of the hard disks, the one that it thought was primary.  I've seen this happen with quite a few software cards.  Each time the OS booted it would load a different hard disk as primary.  If you can, try disabling RAID on it all together.