[CentOS] yum install make does not work

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Wed Dec 19 19:26:58 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 9:35 AM, Theo Band wrote:
>> I try to install make (should be present in base)...
>
> no, it shouldn't.
>
> A) its not in RHEL base, therefore its not in CentOS base.
>
> B) Base contains NO development tools, is intended for deploying RPM
> packaged software only.
>

> if you need make, odds are, you'll also need more development tools
> (gcc, etc etc), I'd suggest ...
>
>       yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

agreed, but that doesn't explain why "yum install make" doesn't work for
him. It should work, no matter what is installed when he issues that
command (though it may have to pull in many deps).
OP must have a misconfiguration somewhere, or otherwise his mirror is bad.
Theo: I suggest disabling all repos except os+updates and trying again.
And the usual "yum clean all" but I think you already did that?