[CentOS] yum install make does not work

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Wed Dec 19 21:15:34 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 08:34 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:26:58 +0100 Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>> Theo: I suggest disabling all repos except os+updates and trying again.
> He could go to that mirror with a web browser and see if the package
> actually exists there.

I have two installations. One that works, and one that does not, so I
can compare. I want to point to a known good mirror, but haven't figured
out how to do that. I can probably just download the make rpm and
install it with rpm. But that feels like cheating :-). And only one
package seems to not exist. How does yum "remember" that? Is it perhaps
a rpm database thing?

I tried something else, reinstall yum:
# yum reinstall yum
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Setting up Reinstall Process
  * base: mirrors.supportex.net
  * extras: mirrors.supportex.net
  * updates: mirrors.supportex.net
base | 3.7 kB     00:00
extras | 3.5 kB     00:00
updates | 3.5 kB     00:00
Installed package yum-3.2.29-30.el6.centos.noarch (from
anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64) not available.
Nothing to do

The other machine works fine:
# yum reinstall yum
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Setting up Reinstall Process
epel/metalink |  15 kB     00:00
  * base: nl.mirror.eurid.eu
  * epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
  * extras: nl.mirror.eurid.eu
  * updates: nl.mirror.eurid.eu
base | 3.7 kB     00:00
epel | 4.3 kB     00:00
epel/primary_db | 4.9 MB     00:02
extras | 3.5 kB     00:00
updates | 3.5 kB     00:00
updates/primary_db | 4.6 MB     00:01
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package yum.noarch 0:3.2.29-30.el6.centos will be reinstalled
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

==============================================================================================================
  Package             Arch Version
Repository            Size
==============================================================================================================
Reinstalling:
  yum                 noarch 3.2.29-30.el6.centos
base                 990 k

Transaction Summary
==============================================================================================================
Reinstall     1 Package(s)

Total download size: 990 k
Installed size: 4.5 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command

What is special with this install is that I used PXE init disk to boot
the installation disk (I added an entry to an existing boot loader and
placed the initial ramdisk and vmlinux in /boot). Could the initial
installation source be the reason?

# yum install make
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
  * base: mirrors.supportex.net
  * epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
  * extras: mirrors.supportex.net
  * updates: mirrors.supportex.net
Setting up Install Process
No package make available.

So this is the mirror for base:
http://mirrors.supportex.net/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/
http://mirrors.supportex.net/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/make-3.81-20.el6.x86_64.rpm

The mirror looks fine to me.

# yum provides /usr/bin/make
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
  * base: mirrors.supportex.net
  * epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
  * extras: mirrors.supportex.net
  * updates: mirrors.supportex.net