[CentOS] Question: How to utilize multi-core CPUs

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Dec 24 01:14:58 UTC 2012

On 12/23/2012 4:53 PM, Mike Watson wrote:
> So, if I understand you all correctly, I need do nothing. The kernel
> will utilize them all as needed.
>
> If that correct?

yes.   a single process with a single thread will only use one
CPU/core/thread at a time, but if you're running multiple processes at
once, even something like a pipeline, then they will run in multiple
cores as needed.

the 2 threads on each core are less than a whole CPU but more than 1/2.
In particular, there is only one floating point  unit.