[CentOS] Filesystem Hierarchy Standard respecting CentOS

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Dec 28 00:25:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 04:14:18PM -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> However, I have not yet found any application packages for CentOS-6
> that actually do this.  I find some that go into /usr/package_name,
> some into /usr/lib/package_name, many that install into /usr/libexec

I've seen a few.  Not many, but a few. (some IBM products, a couple
of other commercial products).

> and none that install into /usr/local, which I gather is reserved for
> packaged built on the system rather than installed via rpm.

It's reserved for the local admins to use; they _could_ do their own
rpms that install into /usr/local, but no third party rpm should touch it.

> So, what is the actual practice with respect to packaging via rpm?
> Where do things go?

I'd recommend following the FHS standard locations.  If you ever decide
to support more than just CentOS then all Linux distro's should "support"
that structure, as do other non-Linux based Unix systems.

--

rgds
Stephen