[CentOS] Live CD iso

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 10:23:44 UTC 2012

On 12/29/2012 09:54 AM, James Freer wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 12/28/2012 3:21 PM, James Freer wrote:
>>> You mean the bin DVD. Thing is with the DVD they are big for broadband
>>> download. I think i'd buy one. But i appreciate your advice.
>>
>> unless your broadband is metered, or really slow (and then should it be
>> called broadband?), 4GB or whatever is really not that big of a deal.  a
>> few hours, perhaps.
>>

>>> One thing i did learn with linux when i first started is that it's
>>> essential to have a spare PC to test a distro on first - then one can...
>>
>> or install it as a VM under VirtualBox or whatever.   Thats certainly
>> how *I* test stuff, and indeed, I put 16GB ram into my latest desktop PC
>> just so I can run several substantial VMs as needed.
>
> In the UK most broadband providers offer 10GB. After a distro CD, several
> clips on Youtube, probably a fair bit of "surfing" - i find myself qualifying
> for a reminder on broadband usage! I've got two spare PCs so i've never looked
> at VM and certainly never had a PC capable of taking 16GB RAM. Current PC is
> only about 18 months old so i think i need to shop more carefully next time.
>
> many thanks - i'm off to explore Centos again.

I'm with BT Infinity in the UK. Unmetered & 75 MBps down & 15 up.

If servers are your thing, I picked up a Dell Poweredge 860 with 2 x
Dual Core Xeons & 8 GB's of RAM for £30 off eBay just before Xmas. You
can, of course, run XWindows on it. It's a tad heavy on the gas (it's
about 285W I think) but it's perfect for VMs.

Have fun!

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,