[CentOS] schily tools

Tue Feb 7 17:50:00 UTC 2012
Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>

Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:

> >> I don't think there is any such general consensus.  Are you reading
> >> something that favors Solaris/*bsd over GNU based systems?
> >
> > Schily tools (and in special star) implement support for Linux specific
> > extensions. This is what you do not get from gtar at all. So why do Linux
> > distros prefer gtar even though there is no Linux support?
>
> Is there any correlation between this and the warning message I see during a
> bootstrap like so :
>
>  Warning: *** /usr/src/linux/include contains broken include files ***
>  Warning: *** /usr/src/linux/include is not used this reason ***
>  Warning: This may result in the inability to use recent Linux kernel
>  interfaces
>
>  Warning: *** linux/ext2_fs.h is not usable at all ***
>  Warning: *** This makes it impossible to support Linux file flags ***
>  You may try to compile using 'make COPTX=-DTRY_EXT2_FS'

This is indeed one of the Linux specific issues. The Linux kernel guys create
defective include files. In other words:

The linux kernel include files that are needed in order to access certain
features (in this case the ext* extended file flags) cause a C compiler error
in case they are used from a userland program.

Jörg