[CentOS] configure network bridge listing bridged intefaces

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Sun Feb 5 00:18:15 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:
>
>>   On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>   >  Hi all,
>>   >
>>   >  Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
>>   >  named br0.
>>   >
>>   >  Searching the web I only found about creating a file
>>   >  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
>>   >  explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>>   >
>>   >  Where is it configured?
>>   >
>>   >  Thank you.
>>
>>   All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use ebtables/iptables to
>> restrict them.
> Really?  Only hubs present packets to all interfaces.  Linux work as a router
> not a hub.

A network bridge connects multiple network segments at the data link layer (Layer 2) of the OSI model. In Ethernet networks, the term bridge formally means a device that behaves according to the IEEE 802.1D standard. A bridge and a switch are very much alike; a switch being a bridge with numerous ports. Switch or Layer 2 switch is often used interchangeably with bridge.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com