[CentOS] How to boot into a different kernel

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Feb 6 13:52:47 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 02:37 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> Is there a command to boot into a different version of the kernel? I
> believe this is setup via grub.conf but unsure. There are a few
> different kernels loaded into /boot but I want to see if there is a
> command to boot into a different kernel as a single instance or
> permanent if needed. Please advise

Without changing the /boot/grub/grub.conf:
When you start CentOS/PC, press down or up error (repeatedly until menu
for kernel/system selection appears). Then select desired kernel.

With changing the /boot/grub/grub.conf, but manual selection:
In /boot/grub/grub.conf change:

disable hiding of the menu:
#hiddenmenu

Optionally change

timeout=10

with larger number (number is in seconds).

With changing the /boot/grub/grub.conf, and auto-selection:
Change:
default=0

to match entry you wish to boot by default

0 = first kernel, on top
1 = second

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)