[CentOS] distributed storage/home-made cloud recommendations

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 7 15:18:45 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 11:39 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck
> <l.wandrebeck at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm happily running moosefs (packages available in rpmforge repo) for a
>> year and a half, 120TB, soon 200. So easy to setup and grow it's
>> indecent :)
>>
>> Laurent.

> Hello Laurent,
>
> Thanks! Very useful info, I never even heard of MooseFS and it sounds very
> nice.
>
> One question: what happens if you lose your master server in their
> designation? Or is it possible to make the master server redundant as well?
>
> Boris.

You said Cloud and machines ... then you described something that you
can do on one box with a bunch of drives.

Do you really want a cloud (a bunch of machines with their own drives)
or a large RAID array?

You are getting answers for both now.

If you really do want some kind of cloud storage system and you are
putting the machines in one datacenter ... I would recommend GlusterFS:

http://www.gluster.org/

GlusterFS has been bought by Red Hat and they offer it in a Storage
solution right now ... And they have CentOS RPMs here for centos5 and
centos6:

http://download.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/CentOS/

If you use the replicated volumes, you can lose bunches of machines and
still have functioning service:

http://download.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.2/Documentation/AG/html/sect-Administration_Guide--Setting_Volumes-Replicated.html