[CentOS] oops, or how to bring a datacenter router down with one setting

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Feb 10 21:40:59 UTC 2012

Devin Reade wrote:
<snip>
> I do have clusters where bonding is in use but those have helped not so
> much in avoiding NIC failures as they do in allowing the machines
> to continue operating as the network team brings down part of the
> redundant switch network for maintenance (or to replace a failed switch,
> or when some fool decides that they can unplug a network cable
> briefly so that they can move other cables around).

Now wait a minute - I would dearly love to disconnect some cables we have
in a shared rack downstairs in the datacenter - it's a rats' nest, and
more than half ain't ours, and every single time I have to do something in
the back, I'm deathly afraid I'm going to pull out somebody's power,
or....

        mark