[CentOS] Sound drop out with totem. mplayer Can't open audio device /dev/dsp

John Stanley john.stanley at elslc.com
Mon Feb 13 00:41:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 11:07 -0500, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> This morning I found that my audio playback is randomly sprinkled with
> sound skips and dropouts.  I went to /var/log/yum.log and found this:
>
> Feb 09 20:18:22 Updated: lame-3.99.4-2.el6.rf.i686
>
> I'm not saying that caused the problem but it's all I could find that
> changed.
>
> When I ls in /dev there is no dsp entry.
> That would explain why mplayer Can't open audio device /dev/dsp.
> I don't know why there is no /dev/dsp.

You want find one either.  It's called 'padsp'.

> I'm using pulesaudio

restart it?

Is it running as a user daemon or system daemon?  what is the system
load while trying to play a file?

What is the last mod time on '/etc/pulse/daemon.conf'?

lspci|grep audio
lsmod|grep snd

when did the padsp-bluetooth get installed?  What is the mplayer output
driver?  for totem i find it utterly useless.