[CentOS] Dovecot problems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:43:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>wrote:

> Never too late for information.
>
> Here's the situation as it stands. The original server is a Centos 3
> box, and the new server is a Centos 6 box. They are separate boxes and I
> can move mail back and forth between the without losing any email  (so
> far).
>
> I've got pop3 and imap logging in, but only retrieving pop email, etc.
> on the new box. The INBOX points to where sendmail deposits it. My
> config right now stands at:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> protocols = pop3 imap
>
> By switching my test account from pop to imap, I can't get emails. I'm
> not sure if the info in your link is pertinent yet. But now I'm
> wondering if I need Namespaces configured.
>
> Both pop and imap use the same INBOX (/var/spool/mail/%u) but imap
> doesn't seem to honor the above "mail_location). So for now, I'm reading
> a lot more trying to discover how things aren't working.

I think the uw server had a magic mode where the imap side would merge new
stuff in mbox format in /var/spool/mail/user with wherever it stored the
imap inbox.   With dovecot you'll need to deliver to maildir in the first
place and it will see the same thing on pop and imap connections (but only
show what it considers the inbox to pop connections).

If you need to convert formats or copy between machines, there is a program
called imapsync that will connect as a client to two imap servers and sync
the folder structure. You could probably also switch to cyrus if you use
that to do the copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com