[CentOS] MySQL/file system question

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Feb 14 02:37:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 18:59 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Here we go:
> [root at gala ~]# ls -l /proc/18702/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 13 18:58 7 -> /home/mysql/tmp/ibE0DGCO
> (deleted)
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 13 18:58 8 ->
> /home/mysql/mysql_data/ib_logfile0
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 13 18:58 9 ->
> /home/mysql/mysql_data/ib_logfile1
> [root at gala ~]#
> Now the files of interest are the ones marked deleted in /home/mysql/tmp .
> Now how do I tell what their size is?

I wouldn't bother pursuing this angle further;  I am not an MySQL admin,
but it must provide performance reporting, statistics, and explain
information [PostgreSQL does, as do most other database engines].  Check
the MySQL docs for how you monitor the utilization of temp spaces.  If
it can't provide this information choose another solution.

It is best not to dig around under engines.  Use the tools and let them
tell you,  otherwise you will build around implementation details.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>