[CentOS] bug in repo affecting perl

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Feb 14 18:59:27 UTC 2012

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote the following on 2/13/2012 9:11 PM:
> why do you think there's a problem? if you have an x86_64 system, you
> are expected to use x86_64 perl, and that's what you have in the os
> and updates dir for that arch, with the newer version in updates. Same
> if you have an i386 system. Apparently centos extras provides the i386
> package for people who want that on an x86_64 system, although the
> version provided is the older one. ...

> The only possible "bug" is that extras could carry the latest i386
> package.

I have dozens of x86_64 systems. On none of them did I manually install
the i386 perl package. However, they all seem to have it installed.

It seems that in many cases CentOS installs both an i386 and an x86_64
package when only the base package is requested, so I have thought
nothing of it. install.log shows that the x86_64bit package was the only
one initially installed, yum indicates that the i386 package was
installed later (looks like during a yum update, possibly a dependency).

Is this a past mistake in the repo that is only rearing its head when
there is a mismatch between the x86_64 version in the update repo and
the i386 version in the extra repo? Should there even exist a version in
the extra repo? If so, it seems it should certainly be updated.

--Blake