[CentOS] bug in repo affecting perl

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Feb 15 14:29:54 UTC 2012

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote the following on 2/14/2012 5:59 PM:

> BTW: why do you need 32bit perl? Since the package exists and you have
> it installed, I guess there must be use-cases... but perl being
> interpreted, I'm curious as to what they could be.

I did not install it intentionally. I attempted to remove it via yum and
yum cited no dependencies, so it doesn't appear to have been necessary.
My guess is that it was accidentally listed as a requirement for another
RPM package that was installed or updated on the system at one point. As
Johnny pointed out, these are older C5 installs, and the configuration
of the repo and some packages might have changed with time. The i386
perl package was likely never necessary for the function of the system.
However, it's installation should not have caused any problems.