[CentOS] corrupted /etc/mtab

Dvorkin, Asya

dvorkias at umdnj.edu
Wed Feb 15 16:10:32 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

It seems like we have a corrupted /etc/mtab file and I just wanted to check that my plan of action is correct.

 df -k returns:
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory

ls -la mtab:

messages full of errors:
EXT3-fs error (device cciss/c0d2p1): ext3_lookup: unlinked inode 847444 in dir #846977

I would like to fsck / partition, but, obviously, can't do it on a live system.

The plan is to touch /forcefsck and to force fsck during reboot.

Please let me know if you see a problem with my plan or have any other suggestions.

Thank you,
Asya