[CentOS] question on unused directories in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64

Craig Thompson cthompson at loganthompsonlaw.com
Wed Feb 15 21:00:45 UTC 2012

Hardly kidding.  But then again, this is early April isn't it?  Oh, wait...

To "cleanly uninstall unused software," one would need a list of what software is ON the system which is unused.  Doing a "minimal" install pretty much gives you a system which no one can use.  Doing the classic "server" install loads a lot of this junk which no one ever uses.  As someone opined on this list, "Why does CentOS install bluetooth packages???"   I don't want it on my server.  I'm trying to find out what the commonly UNUSED packages are so they can be removed.

I randomly selected one package "pango" and found it had about 200 dependencies and uninstalled it.  Lucky?  But I'm sure there are more.

And nowhere do I recall proposing a mass hysteria approach of "rm -R -f /" ...

Can you help in this?  If so, I would welcome your input.