[CentOS] smartd and smartctl

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Feb 17 20:16:18 UTC 2012

> A few weeks ago, one of my servers started complaining, via smartd, that
> one drive had one unreadable sector. I umounted it, and ran an fsck -c,
> then remounted it. Error didn't go away. Now, what's really annoying is
> that I've gotten back to it today, and it's reporting the problem, as it
> has for weeks now, every half an hour.
>
> However, when I run
>> smartctl -q errorsonly -H -l selftest -l error /dev/sdb
> it gives me *nothing*. Anyone understand why I get two different results?
>
>      mark "and I am waiting for the smartctl -t long /dev/sdb to complete"

The smart system works at the hardware level, reading diagnostic
information from the SMART circuitry on the hard drives, themselves. The
hard drives will often, now, try to move the data from bad sectors on the
platters to good sectors, and then mark them so that they won't be used,
later.

Running fsck only works at the logical filesystem layer. The fsck tool has
no hooks to deal with the physical layer.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS