[CentOS] Any experience with eSATA and port multiplier...?

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Sun Feb 19 06:45:14 UTC 2012

--On Friday, February 17, 2012 07:03:57 PM +0000 Gary Greene
<ggreene at minervanetworks.com> wrote:

> On 2/17/12 3:47 AM, "John Doe" <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> just bought an eSATA/USB dual drive docking station and my CentOS 5 can
>> only see one drive at a time...
>> Any one knows if there are specific parameters to set somewhere?
>> Or do I need a more recent kernel (like upgrading to CentOS 6?)

> To make this work, the module for the chipset for the SATA controller that
> the device uses must support Port Multiplier options. Unfortunately, from
> my experience, not many SATA drivers in the Linux kernel actually support
> PMP properly or reliably.

I have no experience with these, but I was noticing this review
earlier on a device that is reported to work well with linux:

<http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-v7AGE420-ES-Trayless-External-Enclosure/product-reviews/B001LDMHFQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/185-1350060-5210125?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1>

Unfortunately the review doesn't mention Linux distro or version.

I realize that probably doesn't help the OP, given that he already
bought his hardware, but maybe it will help someone else.

[If you're looking at this message in the archive and the above
link is dead, the short version is that the iStar USA model
v7AGE420-ES 4 bay chassis is reported to work well]

Devin