[CentOS] Pam problems

Steve Campbell

campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Feb 22 20:36:13 UTC 2012

I'm having problems with what I think is PAM. Seems that ever since
Centos 5, proftpd has had problems using pam, and with Centos 6.2 64
bit, I had to quit using it altogether with proftpd.

Now I'm trying to set up SMTP AUTH using PAM as the pwcheck parm to
saslauthd, and I can't setup new email accounts on my port submission
(587) to work at all. We use this port of sendmail so outside users can
send through our own email server. The crazy thing is that users that
were setup previously before my migration from an older Centos 3 box to
the new box can still use the port fine on the new server. But I can't
get a new account to work. I'm not seeing any errors anywhere, but when
trying to configure an account manually in Thunderbird, it fails
whenever I use port 587. I've got a similar host on using old Centos 3
that still works fine and I'm using it as a model along with the
settings on the original Centos 3 host that was replaced for most of my
parameters.

Anyone had any experience with sendmail and this sort of thing on Centos
6.2? I've stared at this thing for days and tried about everything I can
think of. The yum says pam is up to date.

I have at the least the same pam packages, if not more, on the new
server as the old ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

steve campbell