[CentOS] Is there a way to _remove_ dependencies from an RPM built from source?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:21:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Michael Lampe
<lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

>>     Have you tried to make a fake src.rpm package that "provides" this 'libfoo' and
>> install it ? It didn't need to install anything just tell to the rpm library that it
>> "provides" 'libfoo'.
>
> Normally, I leave the building straightforward.
>
> Of course, I can also climb to the roof, use the fire exit, arrive at
> the backyard and find my way out somehow from there.

Not sure I get the analogy.  You are apparently working with 2
uncoordinated rpm builders, so your choices are to get the original
authors to coordinate the provides/depends, fix it yourself, or ignore
the brokeness.

> So I was humbly asking for some trick here.

Normally if an rpm requires something that isn't in the base distro,
another rpm from the same 3rd party packager will provide it.   If you
don't install the expected combinations, you can expect things to
break - or to have to go through some contortions to keep everything
happy.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com