[CentOS] Centos 6.2, sheduled tasks (cron)

Mihamina Rakotomandimby

mihamina at rktmb.org
Mon Feb 27 10:29:31 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I wanted to schedule some rsync backups and found that CentOS is by
default using anacron.

I'm mostly used with the historical cron, but let's follow the progress :-)

- I made a shell script in /etc/cron.daily/dobackup
- I made it 755, root.root.
- In /etc/anacrontab, START_HOURS_RANGE=21-23 (I kept the other lines
unchanged)
- When I manually run /etc/cron.daily/dobackup, it runs quietly (no errors)

Where should I check if the task scheduler is setup correctly (logs)?

Must I reload a service (BTW, is it "crond" yet?) after editing
/etc/anacrontab?

How to tell that it may launch between 21:00 and 5:00?
- START_HOURS_RANGE=21-05?
- START_HOURS_RANGE=21-23,00-05?
- ...

--