[CentOS] Centos 6.X compatible to ORACLE DB verssion????

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jan 2 15:46:38 UTC 2012

On 01/01/2012 06:07 PM, Christopher J. Buckley wrote:
> On 29 December 2011 19:15, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> They can't very well (at least not with a straight face) tell Red Hat
>> that RHEL6 is not certified while saying that OEL6 is certified can
>> they?  If they do that for very long, they will be breaching their
>> support agreements.
>
> Really? In what way, out of interest?
>
> Hint: they're not.

I am talking about likely preexisting contracts between Red Hat and
Oracle where new products are certified in a timely matter.

This is an example of a disputed contract between Oracle and another party:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-15/hp-sues-oracle-in-california-over-breach-of-contract-claims.html

(Note: I am not saying one or the other party in the above are right or
wrong, just showing it as an example of the kinds of partnership
agreements that Oracle has with other companies)

And my point is, right now Oracle can say that they have not certified
their own OEL6 either ... therefore, one can not expect RHEL6 to be
certified either.  If they certify OEL6 for a version of Oracle
Database, it would be difficult for them to tell Red Hat that they can
not certify RHEL6 or that there are issues with that version of their
Oracle Database.

Maybe Oracle does not have a preferred agreement with Red Hat to certify
future products in a timely manner ... but I would find that highly
unlikely.