[CentOS] Advice sought: Virtual Win7 on Centos 6.2

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jan 7 19:17:16 UTC 2012

Am 07.01.2012 19:39, schrieb Les Mikesell:

> Different setup, but might have the same answer:  I'm trying to use a
> VMware ESXi box to hold an assortment of images that could be fired up
> quickly as backups of working machines.  One of them happens to be a
> windows box that needs audio for some alarms, but the host hardware
> doesn't have an audio device and one doesn't appear in the guest - and
> the win 2003 server terminal services doesn't seem to transport it for
> remote access like the desktop versions anyway.   We do have a
> solution in that the ESXi console client can connect generic USB
> devices to the remote VM so attaching a USB audio device works.  But,
> is there a better way to do remote audio in general, and specifically
> for a windows guest that doesn't see a real audio device?

The Windows terminal services do indeed transport audio to RDP clients,
even if the hardware has no audio equipped. And that works if the
Windows server is running as a VM on VMware ESXi. You may have to enable
that functionality server side in the Windows policy settings. And the
RDP client must be capable and configured to play sound locally.

Alexander