[CentOS] Centos 5.7, I10 video, 1920x1080 monitor

Frank Cox

theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 10 22:56:02 UTC 2012

I have a Centos 5.7 machine with Intel I10 video (built-in, I guess -- this is
one of those all-in-one mini terminal things)  that I'm trying to put a new
1920x1080 monitor onto, without conspicuous success. Prior to this it's been
using a smaller monitor with no issues.

Try as I might I can't get the new monitor to run at its 1920x1080 resolution.
I just realized that I forgot to write down the actual resolution that it runs
at but it's less than it should be, maybe 1280x1024?  Obviously the display
looks pretty crappy like that.

I tried following the instructions posted here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-display-resolution-settings-using-xrandr.html

but when I got to the step of typing "xrandr --newmode ..." all I got was a
help screen for xrandr command line options (and --newmode wasn't listed as one
of them).

I tried this:

system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1920x1080 --set-depth=24
--set-driver=vesa --set-videoram=0

It rewrote the xorg.conf file but I still didn't get 1920x1080.

I tried changing "vesa" to "i810" in xorg.conf and was then told that the
xserver can't be started.  It then took me to a simple GUI-style monitor setup
screen and I told it that a 1920x1080 LCD monitor was connected.  It then
created the following xorg.conf, but I still don't get 1920x1080.

The Xorg.0.log file is over 2000 lines so I won't include it in this mesage but
I have posted it here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/Xorg.0.log.bz2

Here is what I currently have for xorg.conf but again, it doesn't give me the
full resolution on the monitor:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1920x1080"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection