[CentOS] CentOS and LessFS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:54:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:

> We have been looking at implementing deduplication on a backup server.
> >From what I have been able to find the available documentation is
> pretty thin. I ended up trying to install LessFS on this CentOS 5.7
> box but we have now encountered problems with fuse version.
>
> Has anyone out there been able to get LessFS running on CentOS 5.7 and
> can provide some pointers?
>
> If not LessFS can you suggest an alternate deduplication software?

Backuppc dedups (and compresses) at the file level using hardlinks.
Not quite as effective  as a block level if you have frequent small
changes in large files, but still very good with no unusual filesystem
requirements other than keeping the whole archive on one filesystem.
It will link all identical content, whether from the same or different
systems and it's rsync implementation can work with local compressed
copies while chatting with a stock remote version.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com