[CentOS] anyone doing automatic yum updates via yum-updatesd on production servers?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jan 18 10:13:50 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 01:01 AM, Bennett Haselton wrote:
> That's what I meant hen I said I thought it would be better for CentOS
> to have auto-updates enabled by default out of the box.  Power users can

That would change things too much and make everything into a moving
target : not the best situation to be in. Also, its worth noting that
while its easy to slip into a mindset where one imagines all machines
everywhere being in vulnerable positions like on the internet etc, thats
never the case. Lots and lots of machines will run well disconnected
from the 'net', even these days.

Would it make sense to have a middle ground where the option to turn
on/off all system updates, by default, from the base repo's is put up
install time for the user to decide howto handle things ?

It would need to be limited to whats coming from the base distro repo's
though. Since we cant assume all repos on every machine are always in a
state where they are usable and upgradeable all the time. And yes, this
does mean that if the base repo's are moving automatically, third party
packagers and app vendors can no longer ask for and expect any sort of
state. Otoh, it might be argued that the whole point of a stable distro
is to not need that level of endorsement, the reality is that plenty of
vendors do.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax