[CentOS] Can anyone talk infrastructure with me?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Jan 27 00:37:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012, Raymond Lillard wrote:
>On 01/26/2012 03:43 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 01/26/2012 09:09 AM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
>>> They advertise the starting "Business T" at 1.5Mbps per second
>>> They advertise the ADSL2+ 2 lines at up to 40Mbps per second.
>>> Am I mis-understanding that the cost for a T seems high, but a better
>>> option for me than getting their ADSL2+ service? I mean, is the "T"
>>> faster over all given it is all my traffic and I am not sharing?
>>> Can you explain a bit so I can develop a better understanding of how
>>> they advertise speeds, etc?
>>
>> Yes, the cost for a T1 will seem very high.  It is antiquated telco
>> tech.  T1s are generally very reliable, but very very slow.

Slow is relative.  Our T1 is infinitly faster than a cable or DSL
circuit when the power is out, which happens quite frequently
here.  Every time the Comcast/Xfinity folks come around trying to
sell their services I note that when we had a week-long outage
about 14 months ago, our generator kept the computers going, and
USWorst's T1 never faltered.  Comcast was down for that week, and
another after the power came back up.

>Yes they are indeed slow and reliable.  That said, on the
>rare occasion they do go out, they get repaired quickly.
>This may not not be true in you case, but usually T1 lines
>are tariffed with guaranteed uptimes if you ask the right
>questions and read the fine print.

We are a bit more the 20,000 feet from the local CO, and have had
a couple of occassions in the last 13 years where they have
replaced the entire circuit when having problems with repeaters
and such.  For a while there were incidents where a telco tech
buggered our T1 while trying to grab pairs in a terminal block
for voice lines.

>I have had clients on DSL be down for a few days while the
>telco got a round tuit.

Same here, even in commercial areas of Seattle where one would
expect the infrastructure to be solid.

>There are two reasons T1 is more expensive.  T1 requires
>2 copper pairs in the cable.  Those 2 pairs not available
>for voice traffic.  The other reason is the uptime
>requirements.
>
>DSL, while faster, does not preclude using the pair for voice
>traffic, uses a single copper pair and has no uptime commitments.

You can also share voice and data over a single T1.  We have a
couple of voice lines on our T1 which are split out with an
Adtran channel bank that our provider supplies.  I like this as
it replaced the old Linux box we had with a (expensive) Sangoma
card connecting to the T1.

Another option which someone else mentioned is direct ethernet
connections.  We have a client in an industrial area of South
Seattle that got that recently, and has been quite happy with it.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
men who want rain without thunder and lightning.  They want the ocean
without the roar of its many waters.  -- Frederick Douglass