[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:25:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

>> You aren't done booting until you complete the init scripts for
>> runlevel 1.
>
> You may not have noticed, but there is no longer any such thing.  Red
> Hat's init system never booted *through* runlevel 1, the way that some
> other Unix systems did.

Yes, I noticed - and didn't see the point in that either.  Why copy
the runlevel 'look' of sysV if you aren't going to take advantage of
it?

> Even on older Red Hat systems, /usr is mounted before the runlevel 1
> scripts run.  It's mounted in rc.sysinit.  By your logic, you aren't
> done booting until you have both / and /usr mounted, so there's no value
> in separating them.

Right.  It was broken before.   Which is mostly why I don't have a lot
of faith in the next round of changes either.

> Prior to the merge, you could not reliably mount /usr from NFS, since it
> might not match the libraries in /.  Merging / in to /usr actually makes
> an NFS root filesystem a supported configuration, which was not
> previously the case.
>
> Twice in this message, you've actually argued *for* merging the two
> without realizing it.

I was arguing against the broken ways that the layout has diverged
from the unix design concepts more than any specific thing.  If this
is going to make everything work again, great.   This time for sure...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com