[CentOS] Good tool to draw server room?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Jul 3 12:49:23 UTC 2012

On 7/3/2012 5:53 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> 3D modeling is a lot of work.

Only if you compare apples to oranges.

I do better with 3D because I can't draw, shade, color, or do
traditional animation worth a darn.  I *can* build realistic models of
what I want, and I can also convince a computer to spit out a solid 2D
render from a 3D model.

Now, will it take me longer to do that than for a talented 2D artist to
draw it?  Almost certainly.  But my model is more flexible.  I can
easily animate it, deform it, change camera angles...in 2D, you usually
have to redraw to make such full-scene changes.

Creating in 3D is sorta like graphically writing software to create 2D
output: the created artifact is as flexible as software, able to be
repurposed in the same sort of ways.  2D is almost chiseled in stone by
comparison.  3D gives you some advantages in the 2D world, too, what
with multi-pass layered output.  (Basically, gives you the ability to
tweak a 2D static render element by element in a program like Photoshop
or Gimp, or a pile of 2D frames element by element in a compositor like
After Effects or Blender.)

Plus, a 2D artist might not be available.  I work in a small company; we
wear a lot of hats.  When the choice is "hire a 2D artist" vs "have
Warren do it in 3D" we tend to pick the latter.

Now, in certain narrow areas, I do myself still pick 2D.  If I know
going in that what I need is a 2D isomorphic overhead plan drawing, I
might well do it in 2D, for example.  But if I'm not sure that I might
not later need a 3D version for some reason -- say, figuring out A/C
placement for air flow before bringing contractors in -- it might be
worth doing it in 3D from the start.

Even if you never need the 3D model, adding the extra dimension forces
you to think through things you wouldn't consider until you're trying to
put together a pile of physical parts unboxed all over the floor.

Just my tuppence.