[CentOS] ssh port forwarding

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 01:45:19 UTC 2012

Doug,

It's also possible to send ssh to the background and also skip remote
commands (perfect for tunneling).

Options for ssh command:
-f  .......... background
-N ......... skip remote commands

** Personally I'd look for a more robust tunnel/VPN alternative. **
1) OpenSSH tun/tap devices - but this should really be used for a
'one-off' quick tunnel => requires root to establish, so it's not
ideal for every situation! (think roadwarriors, etc)
2) OpenVPN - SSL VPN - software/application based - simpler to set up
as a result
3) OpenSWAN - IPSec VPN - hooks into the kernel (netkey or klips)

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //