[CentOS] Trying to find all the kernel modules needed for my machine using shell script

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jul 14 20:55:06 UTC 2012

On 07/13/2012 01:57 PM, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Aft,
>
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 23:48 +0600, Aft nix wrote:
>> Now centos distributes its kernel sources
>> through src-rpms(srpms). Which is "already patched" kernel source.
>> What i want is just the patches. so i that i can roll it over vanilla
>> kernel
>> and get identical source as those distributed through srpms.
> As CentOS is essentially a rebuild of RHEL the SRPMs are mostly the same
> as upstreams. Which sadly means that since v.6 the kernel source is
> distributed as a pre patched tarball.

The latest CentOS-5 kernels are also now shipped this way as well ...
one big Red Hat patch against the kernel tarball.

CentOS only makes 2 minor changes to the spec file before we build the
kernel (so that the generated signing key for modules says "CentOS" and
not Red Hat, Inc).  We do not roll in any additional patches into the
main kernel.   We do roll in patches into the CentOSPlus kernel ... so
you can look at the SRPM to see how we roll in our patches there.

Here is an article for you to read concerning the way Red Hat now ships
their kernel:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

And here is our response:

http://centosnow.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-new-kernel-srpm-distribution.html