[CentOS] New /boot/message file?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 16 11:05:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

> From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] New /boot/message file?
>

> Am 15.07.2012 22:51, schrieb Keith Roberts:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>>> but what is the point to break your system to not
>>> automatically maintain grub.conf in this context? what is
>>> the advantage have to add the new kernel manually to the
>>> config?
>>
>> Good point again Reindl.
>>
>> I've not broken the system, it's just I want to decide when
>> the new kernel should be booted.
>
> why in the world do you install it if you do not want it to get booted?
> if you do not update the kernel simaply "yum --exclude=kernel\* upgrade"

Hi Reindl.

I install it but delay using it untill I decide to activate
it myself.

>> My reason is I've had the kernel version change and that has
>> been buggy and broke my system. So I'd rather take control
>> myself over when my box moves to a newer kernel version
>
> and what do you think what is "default=0" in "grub.conf"
> is for? exactly to specfiy WHAT installed kernel should
> be booted

This is part of my grub.conf file Reindl:

default=1

# comment this out to skip the countdown screen
# and go straight to the GRUB boot menu and stop there.
# timeout=300

splashimage=(hd0,13)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu

title Initial CentOS 5.5 DVD kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.el5)
     root (hd0,1)
     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.el5 ro root=LABEL=Centos-5-root
     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.el5.img

title CentOS 5.8 system (vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5)
     root (hd0,1)
     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=Centos-5-root
     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5.img

The timeout is disabled so I can select which kernel to
boot myself, after updating grub.conf.

I kept the details for the Centos DVD kernel so I can use my
own grub.conf file if I needed to do a fresh installation of
Centos.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites: