[CentOS] 6.3: service not starting?

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Jul 17 17:38:41 UTC 2012

Before I roll it out to users for their workstations, I updated my own
system to 6.3, just did an update a few minutes ago, then rebooted. Came
up... but when I went to use my PIV card for credentials to certain other
machines, it didn't read the card. I found that pcscd was not running -
when I did a service restart, it said "failed" on shutdown, then ok on
startup. chkconfig --list tells me it's supposed to be on.

Now, I'm pretty sure I saw this behavior with motion on a server I did a
week or so ago, also: same thing, chkconfig says it should be on, but it
was never turned up. This is a reboot after update, not a new install, and
selinux is permissive in both cases.

Has anyone else seen this, with optional services?

        mark