[CentOS] Oracle UEK kernel on CentOS

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 21:48:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Chris <xchris89x at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Does the Oracle UEK kernel really perform better than the default centos kernel?
> Technical advantages and disadvantages?

This answers some of your questions
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/uek-rel2-getting-started-1555632.html

---
About the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Oracle Linux

Oracle Linux with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel is Oracle's fully
supported, tested, and certified Linux operating system for the
enterprise. Oracle Linux is free to download, use, and distribute, and
it is optimized to run Oracle hardware, databases, and middleware. You
can obtain ISO images of the installation media from the Oracle
Software Delivery Cloud without charge (requires registration).

The Oracle Linux base distribution is 100% userspace-compatible with
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). However, the Unbreakable Enterprise
Kernel is released on an independent schedule and is always based on a
recent version of the mainline Linux kernel. As a result, it delivers
the latest innovations from mainline Linux, combined with tested
performance and stability. It is installed and booted by default;
major updates of the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel are usually
published every 12 to 18 months.
---

However, I'd suggest that if you want to use Oracle' s kernel, you use
Oracle' s Linux distro, which you can also download for free.

Why come here and speak about mixing CentOS with Oracle kernel?. The
answers will surely be mostly negative (like going to a Fedora mailing
list and asking about using an Ubuntu kernel, or vice-versa). Do you
expect the answers to be otherwise?. Seems like trolling to me.

FC

- George Orwell