[CentOS] Oracle UEK kernel on CentOS

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:03:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Patrick Lists
<centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Larry is that you?

ROFL... I use Fedora on desktops. Used Sun JDS before, and SuSE before
that. Caldera Openlinux 12 years ago. IBM OS/2 before that.

Today, one of my servers run CentOS. But when I plan to start some
commercial services on another server, I plan to purchase an Oracle
subscription plan because it´s one third of the RedHat price. Money
doesn´t grow on trees for me.

If ORCL gives me support and an optimized kernel, then fair game. Who
am I to complain?.

Oracle employees, on Evil Larry´s payroll, also contribute to the
Linux kernel and other linux areas as Gnome and drivers.

http://oss.oracle.com/

A simple google search shows ORCL employees on the Gnome mailing lists only:

http://goo.gl/Jv1kb

On the first screen
Dermot McCluskey (dermot.mccluskey at or*cle.com)
Calum Benson <calum.benson at or*cle.com>
Jeff Cai (jeff.cai at or*cle.com)
Li Yuan (lee.yuan at or*cle com)
Emily Chen  yang.chen at or*cle.com
Brian Cameron <brian.cameron at or*cle.com>
Mike Oliver <mike.oliver at or*cle com>

That sounds to me like contributing, not only "leeching".

But hey, I guess the facts stopped being important long ago, and what
matters these days are perceptions and feelings, so it´s cool to "hate
evil Larry". Must be why he did the revolutionary (and ahead of its
time) low cost "ThinkNIC" computer for educational markets based on
Linux and Netscape, 12 years ago.

And I´ll say it again: I run multiple OSs including Fedora, yet while
I support Oracle´s open source projects, I´m not particularly
interested in any of the firms´ non-free or propietary products geared
towards -and priced for- the Fortune 500...

There´s room for everyone in the market... RHEL, CentOS and Oracle Linux...
FC