[CentOS] Oracle UEK kernel on CentOS

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jul 19 15:48:34 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 10:17 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> If Android was not wildly popular, Oracle would not have done anything
>> about it.  Since it is, they want $$.
> Money is so evil! how they dare license a technology... even if it's
> open source...
> *sarcasm*
>
> http://www.businessinsider.com/java-inventor-google-totally-slimed-sun-2012-4
>
> Java Inventor: 'Google Totally Slimed Sun'
> Matt Rosoff | Apr. 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
>
> Java creator James Gosling thinks that Google "totally slimed" Sun by
> using big parts of Java without paying a license, and says that he
> agrees with Oracle in the lawsuit between the companies.
>
> That may be a bit surprising, because Gosling quit his job at Sun
> shortly after Oracle bought the company, and has been critical of
> Oracle in some blog posts since then. Then, last March, Gosling took a
> job at Google. He's since quit that job to work for a startup.
>
> Gosling is widely considered the father of Java, as he invented the
> first version of the Java language and other pieces of the platform
> back in 1994.
>
> On Saturday, Gosling wrote a brief blog post clarifying his position
> on the Oracle-Google case after a news article got it wrong.
>
> As he put it:
>
> Just because Sun didn't have patent suits in our genetic code doesn't
> mean we didn't feel wronged. While I have differences with Oracle, in
> this case they are in the right. Google totally slimed Sun. We were
> all really disturbed, even [then-CEO] Jonathan [Schwartz]: he just
> decided to put on a happy face and tried to turn lemons into lemonade,
> which annoyed a lot of folks at Sun.

Then he also does not understand the GPL.

From the GPL Version 2 preamble:

"Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software patents.
We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free program will
individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the program
proprietary. To prevent this, we have made it clear that any patent must
be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all."

They made Java GPL, not me.