[CentOS] using ip address on bonded channels in a cluster

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jul 26 16:01:59 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 08:05 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I'm creating a firewall HA cluster. The proof of concept for the basic
> firewall cluster is OK. I can bring up the cluster, start the iptables
> firewall, and move all of this with no problem. I'm using Conga to do
> all of this configuration on Centos 6.3 servers.
>
> To extend the "HA" part of this, I'd like to use bonded channels instead
> of plain old NICs. The firewall uses the "IP address" service for the
> outside firewall IP addresses. Each server behind the firewall is NATted
> to one of these external IPs on the firewall's external interface.
>
> I'm not seeing how I can use bonded channels anywhere for these "IP
> address" services. Part of the problem is that Conga will "guess" at
> which interface to place the ip address service upon. In the case of
> bonded channels, I don't think Conga is even aware of the "bondx"
> interface, and Conga only uses interfaces like eth0, eth1, etc.
>
> I realize that the sysconfig network scripts will come into play here as
> well, but that's another problem for me to tackle.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with bonded channels and Conga? I could
> sure use some help with this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> steve campbell

I use bonding extensively, but I always edit cluster.conf directly. If
conga doesn't support "bond*" device names, please file a bug in red
hat's bugzilla.

Once the bondX device is up, it will have the IP and the "ethX" devices
can be totally ignored from the cluster's perspective. Use the bondX
device just as you would have used simple ethX devices.

In case it helps, here is how I setup bonded interfaces on red hat
clusters for complete HA;

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Network

--
Digimer