[CentOS] Dual NVidia cards, dual monitors

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 4 21:32:53 UTC 2012

Steven Chall wrote:
> I've just installed CentOS 6.2 on an HP xw8600 with two NVidia GeForce
> 8800 GT video cards in it.  I have two Dell monitors than ran configured
> as a single contiguous desktop when this was a Windows 7 machine.  I've
> only been able to access one of the two monitors under CentOS, although
> the system demonstrates some awareness of the second GPU/monitor, because
> the second monitor shows the standard CentOS 6 image while the machine is
> running.  In addition, when it's starting up or shutting down a large wait
> cursor is displayed in that second monitor, and also shows the message
> "shutting down..." when that's going on.  However, the Display applet in
> the System | Preferences panel menu shows only the one monitor, and
> hitting the Detect Monitors button doesn't help.  Just to test the
> obvious, I switched the DVI cables coming out of the two video cards and
> as you'd expect what shows in the two monitors is also switched.
<snip>
Either install the proprietary NVidia driver, d/l from their website, by
hand, or install kmod-nvidia from elrepo, which will build it
automagically. In either case, it will install an NVidia control panel in
your menus, and you can select twinview.

       mark, on a Dell Precision with that as he types