[CentOS] Dual NVidia cards, dual monitor

Steven Chall

stevec at renci.org
Tue Jun 5 18:01:47 UTC 2012

> Steven Chall wrote:
> > I've just installed CentOS 6.2 on an HP xw8600 with two NVidia GeForce
> > 8800 GT video cards in it.  I have two Dell monitors than ran configured
> > as a single contiguous desktop when this was a Windows 7 machine.  I've
> > only been able to access one of the two monitors under CentOS, although
> > the system demonstrates some awareness of the second GPU/monitor, because
> <snip>
> Either install the proprietary NVidia driver, d/l from their website, by
> hand, or install kmod-nvidia from elrepo, which will build it
> automagically. In either case, it will install an NVidia control panel in
> your menus, and you can select twinview.
>
>        mark, on a Dell Precision with that as he types

<snip>

Thanks, Mark, B.J., the elrepo route worked.  There was a small hitch in that the "Twinview" option wasn't available (it was present but grayed out) on the NVidia control panel, but entering nvidia-xconfig --twinview on the command line as root did the trick.

Steve

-Steve Chall
 Senior Research Software Developer
 Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)