[CentOS] ipoe vs pppoe...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jun 8 13:11:39 UTC 2012

> Hi,
>
> we are currently using pppd to connect to the net through pppoe.
> Some providers seem to propose ipoe instead of pppoe and I cannot find any clue on how/where/if_possible to set up such connection in CentOS.
> Anybody has any experience with ipoe...?

ipoe?  Do you mean plain old dhcp?  If so, you just need the dhcp
client package installed (dhcpv6-client-1.0.10-20.el5 under CentOS 5).
This should be installed by default.  Then you just need to configure
the NIC to use DHCP as its BOOT protocol and you should be all set.
There is no authentification or other nonsense.