[CentOS] space problem

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Jun 13 17:46:09 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-13, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> CentOS 6.2. I have a 2TB drive, one partition, which is used for online
> backups. It filled up the other day. I moved a couple of b/u directories
> off it, and deleted the originals, which should have given me 42G free. I
> also reduced the reserved blocks by 1/3rd.

How are you taking backups?  If you're using something like rsnapshot,
you may have only deleted one of the many hard links to your files.  In
doing so you may have removed the directory entries but your files are
still there.  (That should still have freed up some space, just not
much.)

Also, perhaps check df -i?

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us