[CentOS] [HW/OT] Recommend vendor to recover data from LTO4 tapes

Arun Khan

knura9 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:03:56 UTC 2012

Posting here in the hope that some one may have encountered problems
with recovery from backups on LTO4 media and found a solution.

Back ups on FujiFilm LTO4 media (800/1600).

Archives created using tar -cf /dev/nst0.  The tapes were fine when
the archives were created (tested by extracting random sample files
from them) but something went wrong in storage (no physical damage).

Now a few LTO4 tapes are giving I/O errors when I try to extract data
from them.   Tried dd_rescue and that too fails giving  I/O errors.

I am wondering if there are any service providers, to extract
the data out of the magnetic tapes in a fashion similar to "dead" hard
disks.   Please share info if you know of any such provider.

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan