[CentOS] Rhythmbox Replacement

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Jun 17 13:28:21 UTC 2012

On 06/17/2012 07:35 AM, Nux! wrote:
> On 17.06.2012 03:51, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Hey Y'all,
>>
>> What application replaces the functionality of Rhythmbox for Cent OS
>> 6.2?  In particular I am interested in handling podcast feeds.
>
> Rhythmbox does support podcasts I believe. Anyway, from what I have at
> hand now I can say VLC and Clementine (KDE based) have support for
> podcasts; but you need to use 3rd party repos to install them (lime my
> own :>  ).

I see that Rhythmbox is up to Rev. 2.97 on their home page.  The current
version in the el repo is 0.12.8.  Looks to me like the repo has an old
and creaky version.

Rhythmbox 0.12.8 functions pretty well for catching podcasts and
dropping them on my HD, but it does leave something to be desired.  A
new feed can be added but deleting a feed can only be done by manually
editing the ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml file.

I tried the configure/make/install dance with the source for version
2.97 but I got resolvable dependencies.  I'm thinking that's the reason
why there is no newer version in the repo.

Now to the point, VLC is useful for playing mp3 files once they are
downloaded, but not so useful for collecting them.   Clementine is also
strongly music oriented.  Great for playing podcasts but not so much for
catching them.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a new pod catcher that isn't many years
out of date, and is supported in the repos.  I've learned over the years
that mixing repos is a good recipe for disaster.

--
     _
    °v°